SQL Server Performance

Standard Edition & 4 Proc Limit - Does this include multi-core?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by DBADave, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DBADave New Member

When Standard Edition says it supports 4 processors, is this just the physical processor or do we have to factor in multiple cores?
    If SE supports 4 physical quad-core processors, is it written to optimally utilize the quad-core technology or would I be better off using Enterprise Edition?
    Thanks, Dave
  2. satya Moderator

SQL Server engine can see the number of physical CPU even that machine has logical CPU in use and in you case SE will support upto 4 CPUs that means it will support 4 physical CPU sockets, regardless of the number of cores in each CPU. If you have 4 physical CPUs with 4 cores each, then your SQL Server Standard Edition deployment would have 16 logical CPUs to make use of.
  3. DBADave New Member

My assumption is that since EE is tuned for parallel processing I would see better performance from an EE installation of 4 physical quad-core processors vs an SE installation. Would you agree?
    Dave
  4. satya Moderator

On similar occassions but not on all the cases, overall the culprit would be the code and in order to reduce that we can take measures like upto date statistics & indexes.
  5. DB King New Member

Satya, I thought SE would only see 4 logical processors (i.e. the cores in the 1st quad-core proc). Do you have any text from MS which I can quote as I have to build a business case to go for SE instead of EE.