SQL Server Performance

Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Mirroring, help!

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by why, Oct 25, 2007.

1. why New Member

I read multiple articles. I can't decide. Production OLTP environment. 300+ tran/sec. 100Mbit fiber two physical locations (principal and mirror). Log generation rate 20MB/minute Would this perform OK on Standard Edition with SAFETY ON ? or do we need to buy Enterprise Edition and use SAFETY OFF option ? Because principal waits for mirror to commit I assume each transaction will take additional time (+500ms ?) to commit and will increase number of SPIDs waiting to be committed. What are the latencies seen in the installations out there ? What do you think ?Would indexing/reindexing/defraging operations make latency even more apparent ?In case we decide to buy Standard is it possible to upgrade to Enterprise for difference in cost ? Price is definitely a factor.Help!
  2. techbabu303 New Member

3. why New Member

Mirroring is available in Standard and Enterprise editions.
    But, the questions is, do I need Enterprise edition (safety off) or will I be ok with Standard edition (safety on), and real world impact of "safety on'' option on OLTP systems.
  4. techbabu303 New Member

The feature of safety on or off behaves the same way for both editions , to read further about feature please read Satya's presentation.
    Regards
    Sat
  5. Anvie Knox New Member

SQL 2005 standard edition safety setting is always on. only Enterprise edition has the option to change the safety setting.
  6. satya Moderator

What sort of availability you are looking for your database application?
    As referred by Techbabu STANDARD EDITION would do the job provided what kind of failover method and performance you are looking.
  7. Anvie Knox New Member

This what will I do in this situation.
    I will use standard edition since the prices for standard edition and Enterprise have significantly difference. then do a work around.
    Turn off the mirroring when you are processing huge amount of records then turn it on after the processes, Since the setting is "Safety ON" mirror server will catch up to the principal server.
    you dont have to do it manually you can create a job in SQL and you can schedule it too.
    If you are going to this direction, I am willing to help ;-)