SQL Server Performance

Startup account

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by cb, Jan 23, 2003.

1. cb New Member

I would like to change one of my SQL server service accounts to a domain account from system account.
    Could you give information what kind of privileges should be required for this domain account.

Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

The first thing is that domain account should have all administrator privileges on the SQL server.

Also from User manager for domains make sure this account should have following user rights:
    Act as part of Operating System
    Increase quotas
    Log on as a service
    Log on as a Batch Job
    Replace a Process-level token

If you're using Win2K just 2 of these levels also:
    Bypass traverse checking
    Lock pages in memory

After changing the service account priority re-start the SQL services to affect the changes.

HTH

Satya SKJ
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

What I like to do is to create a domain account called sqlservice, and then add this domain account to the local administrator's group on each of my SQL Servers. This way, all my servers are consistent.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  4. cb New Member

How about the steps defined by satya, shall those have to be applied?
  5. bradmcgehee New Member

Yes, they should.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
  6. cb New Member

Thanks Brad

One more question, how do I start default instance of a sql servre. I have 3 instances one of which is default and other 2 are named ones.
  7. satya Moderator

From a command prompt, sqlservr.exe -c. Make sure you are at appropriate directory to run the command. Also from EM choose the default instance and right click and start.

Whereas for the named instances you can use sqlservr.exe -c -s {instancename} and asusual should be in the appropriate directory.

HTH

Satya SKJ
  8. bradmcgehee New Member

Thanks satya for answering this question.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster