SQL Server Performance

Staying on Top

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 19, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

If you look at many of the top 100 companies on the stock exchanges around the world and compare them to the top 100 companies from 10 years ago, one of the startling facts is that over half the companies did not exist 10 years ago. This phenomenon is the same in the IT sector, as there are jobs today in the workplace that did not even exist 10 years ago. For example, SOX Compliance Officer and Virtualization and SAN Engineers are all roles that did not exist a decade ago. I recently attended a presentation that really drove home the fact that the jobs that we are performing today may not even exist in 10 years time.
    When you think about it though, it is not that startling really, as the .Net Framework was not around 10 years ago and neither were SQL Server specialties such as Reporting Services and SSIS. Something I have been seeing more and more of is people in the IT sector that do not want to re-learn new skills, as they are happy in their current domain. If you think of other professions, IT is one of the few where skills can become redundant in only a few short years. Where do you see yourself in the IT industry in 10 years time? Do you think your job will still exist?
    - Peter Ward
  2. Jallman New Member

I expect to be retired in 10 years (or so), but I expect my job responsibilities to change many times in that period of time. We will learn at least three new SQL Server Versions in that time, and at least two new Windows technologies.Merry Christmas Peter.