SQL Server Performance

Stored Proc / View

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by sqljunkie, Jun 24, 2003.

1. sqljunkie New Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to call a stored proc from a view? If so could you post an example?
  2. bambola New Member

It is not possible to call a stored procedure from a view. It is sometimes possible to call a function from a view, depends on the function.

Bambola.
  3. vbkenya New Member

You can call a stored procedure within a view which utilizes an OPENQUERY statement. The stored procedure must of course return columns otherwise it will not be seen as a rowset.

I created a 'fake' linked server to use for the OPENQUERY statement. This linked server points to the same instance as the one it was being created on (self-linkage) like this:

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver @server='LinkedServerName', @srvproduct='',
    @provider='SQLOLEDB', @datasrc='MyInstance'

GO

I then created a view which uses the linked server and invokes one of the stored procedures:

CREATE View XYZ
    AS
    SELECT *
    FROM OPENQUERY(LinkedServername, 'EXEC Mydatabase.dbo.StoredProc')
    GO

I can't say that the linked server business will not affect the overall performance of queries utilizing this view.

Nathan H.O.
  4. bambola New Member

I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

Bambola.
  5. bradmcgehee New Member

Great tip!

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  6. sqljunkie New Member

Nathan,

Thanks for your tip!
  7. vbkenya New Member

It is said that "Necessity is the mother of invention". But I would wonder why Microsoft doesn't support the EXEC statement directly in the CREATE VIEW definition. It is definately not just a performance issue.

Using this OPENQUERY method gives me the creeps though.

sqljunkie: Why would you want to call a stored procedure within a view ?

Nathan H.O.
  8. sqljunkie New Member

Actually I don't really want to call a stored proc within a view.

Someone asked me if it was possible and I could not think of a way so I posted the question among the experts in this forum.

I was hoping I could go with Bambola's original reply because it seems like a very awkward position to be in. I think we'll try to redesign this scenario before we consider this a viable solution.

Thanks again for your help.
  9. vbkenya New Member

quote:Originally posted by sqljunkie
    [br......I think we'll try to redesign this scenario before we consider this a viable solution.......

Very reasonable decision.

Nathan H.O.