SQL Server Performance

Substring logic

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by SanetteWessels, May 10, 2004.

1. SanetteWessels New Member

Hi everyone,

I need help on the following. I have a string: 'tbl_Forecast_123456_789010' and I need to extract the number fields from the string.

So my result should look like:

Num1 = 123456, Num2 = 789010

Thanks in advance!!

SQL Developer
    JustEnough Software Corporation
    Walking on water and coding of a spec is easy, as long as both are frozen - A friend
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

If string is fix length, you can use:

SUBSTRING ( expression , start , length )

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

3. satya Moderator

4. SanetteWessels New Member

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the advice. I managed to write the following code and thought I would share it with you.

DECLARE @len int
    , @string varchar(50)
    , @TableName varchar(50)

SET @TableName = 'tbl_Forecast_23344556_33223223'

SELECT @len = LEN(REVERSE(LEFT(REVERSE(@TableName),CHARINDEX('_',REVERSE(@TableName))-1)))+1
    SELECT @len = @len + 1

SELECT @string = REVERSE(SUBSTRING(REVERSE(@TableName),@len,50))

SELECT ID1 = REVERSE(LEFT(REVERSE(@string),CHARINDEX('_',REVERSE(@string))-1))
    ,ID2 = REVERSE(LEFT(REVERSE(@TableName),CHARINDEX('_',REVERSE(@TableName))-1))

SQL Developer
    JustEnough Software Corporation
    Walking on water and coding of a spec is easy, as long as both are frozen - A friend
  5. gaurav_bindlish New Member

That's a lot of functions.... Try using RIGHT for the same....

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.