SQL Server Performance

Suddenly SQL 2000 become very slow

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by faraz, Dec 19, 2005.

1. faraz New Member

Hi, Im facing a problem with sql server 2000. Whenever i click on database icon then it becomes very very slow... it takes aroung 10-15 mins to show me all the databases.

Please advice something...

Ahmad Faraz

JDE CNC Administrator
    Perot Systems
  2. satya Moderator

This could be problem with client tools installed, check MDAC version and ensure service pack has been applied to client tools as well.

Also try from another client's machine for more testing.
    Also check server event viewer for any network related issues and SQL server error log.

Satya SKJ
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. faraz New Member

Thanks a lot Satya for your promt response. Im facing this issue with all client machine.
    Please advice...

quote:Originally posted by satya

This could be problem with client tools installed, check MDAC version and ensure service pack has been applied to client tools as well.

Also try from another client's machine for more testing.
    Also check server event viewer for any network related issues and SQL server error log.

Satya SKJ
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  4. Chappy New Member

Is it equally slow when you use the client tools on the server?
    What network libs are you using?

You could also run a profiler trace to see whats happening during a connection
  5. faraz New Member

Few days back i started profiler and after 3-4 days i have stopped it, so what im assuming is, we are getting this problem due to that profiler. please let me know if im sounding good.

If Im connecting to server then its working fine, this problem occur with clients only. There are n no of database server in our network and we are facing this problem with this server only.
  6. Adriaan New Member

Double check that the your anti-virus software is NOT monitoring the SQL Server installation folders, and also NOT monitoring files that have SQL Server-specific extensions (MDF, LDF, NDX, ...).

How about disk space available on the drives in use for those files?
  7. faraz New Member

Disk size is about 18 GB, and i confirmed with our networking team and according to them anti virus working properly.

quote:Originally posted by Adriaan

Double check that the your anti-virus software is NOT monitoring the SQL Server installation folders, and also NOT monitoring files that have SQL Server-specific extensions (MDF, LDF, NDX, ...).

How about disk space available on the drives in use for those files?
  8. Adriaan New Member

Anitvirus "working properly" - it's not about the software working properly, it's about which files the software is monitoring.

"Disk size is about 18 GB" - yes, but how much free space?
  9. satya Moderator

I repeat Chappy's question again "What network libs are you using?"
    Any changes to the infrastructure recently on Windows or SQL SErver?

Satya SKJ
  10. Luis Martin Moderator

About Profiler, did you set any filter to reduce the trace?

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important
    Bertrand Russell

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

11. faraz New Member

Hi Adriaan,

Im having the 18 GB free space on the disk..

quote:Originally posted by Adriaan

Anitvirus "working properly" - it's not about the software working properly, it's about which files the software is monitoring.

"Disk size is about 18 GB" - yes, but how much free space?
  12. satya Moderator

Confirm the environment details such as operating system, server hardware, sql memory settings and database growth etc.

Satya SKJ
  13. Luis Martin Moderator

I insist in Profiler if you don't set any filter and use to much columns profiler will cause poor performance.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important
    Bertrand Russell

Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.