SQL Server Performance

Suprised by database slow down after it was moved to Amazon instance

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by sql_er, Jan 29, 2010.

1. sql_er New Member

Hello,We have recently moved a database to Amazon EC2 instance. We chose the server with identical configurations. The performance on the new server is awful. After initial analysis I realized that the old one used much more memory through AWE enable option, and so I reset memory on the new server the same way. However, it does not seem to have helped the problem.The only idea I have is to rebuild indexes. The only problem is that db size is pretty big (~ 80 GB) so it might take a while. So before doing that I wanted to get some opinions as to whether I am on the right track or there is something else to check.Thank you!
  2. preethi Member

Does Amazon EC2 provide SQL Server 7.0 or 2000? [*-)]
    When migrating to a new server, index rebuilding is something important to do. I don't see any big issue in rebuilding the indexes. Even though 80 GB is not that big, you can chose indexing on highly used tables at off peak time.
    Also check whether SQL Server takes advantage of AWE.
  3. sql_er New Member

Hello,On amazon EC2 we got MSSQL 2000, just as we had it. So we moved from 2000 to 2000 via backup and restore.I checked and SQL Server is taking advantage of AWE.I am planning to rebuild indexes and update statistics today and see how it helps.Another thing: I found out that the new machine has 4 CPUs wherease the old one had 8.Could this be causing such a slow down?Thank you!
  4. preethi Member

[quote user="sql_er"]On amazon EC2 we got MSSQL 2000, just as we had it. [/quote] Thank you for the info. I didn't know that.
    [quote user="sql_er"]I found out that the new machine has 4 CPUs wherease the old one had 8.Could this be causing such a slow down?[/quote] I believe this could be one of the major reasons. I am not sure how you were using those processors, but earlier you had 8 brains to work (not sure how much you used at the same time) but now you have only 4.
    Please go ahead and rebuild the indexes and statistics. They may help you.