SQL Server Performance

Surface Area Configuration Tools

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Chayan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Chayan New Member

Hi,
    I have a SQL Server 2005 client (SSMS) installed in my machine. We have an SQL Server 2005 Express instance installed in another machine. Now, using Surface Area Configuration Tool form my machine (I also have Surface Area Configuration Tool installed with the client) can I configure the services and connections of the Express Server (which is in the other machine).
    In my local Surface Area Configuration Tool, I am specifying the name of the remote computer in which we have the server, but it is giving the error message that the computer cannot be configured remotely. I have added my username as well as computer name (of the local machine from where i want to access the server) in Windows Management Instrumentation of the remote server and have given them remote access permission too. Still I am not able to connect to the the remote server from my Surface Area Configuration Tool.

Can we connect to a remote sever through Surface Area Configuration Tool and configure services; if yes then what can be the possible reasons for which my connection is failing. What else should I check.
    Thanks in advance.
    Chayan
  2. dineshasanka Moderator

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2635093&SiteID=1
  3. Chayan New Member

Hi Dineshasanka,

Thanks for the help. In the link provided by you there was a suggestion to reset permissions on the server using the following script:
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%
    epairsecsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
    I did that. But now, an another problem cropped up. Now I am not able to start my instance ( MSSQLSERVER) with Log on account as Network Services, though it is working fine with Log on account as Local. It is running into error.

The log file is showing the following errors:
    Error: 17053, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(Access is denied.) encountered.
    Errors 17053 occur when error 112 occurs. Error 112 occurs because there is not enough space on the disk, but i have sufficient space on my disk.
    Can you help me with the issue.
    And the previous problem of not being able to connect to a remote server from the local Surface Area Configuration Tools still persists.
    thanks.