SQL Server Performance

table partitioning !!

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by jag_techie, Dec 18, 2007.

1. jag_techie New Member

Well, i have a table having 30million records. I want to partition the table for better performance as right now doing anything on this table is getting slower and slower. So i would appreciate if some one can help me and tell me how to partition table having 30 million records step by step process. I tried to read stuff but could not understand. So need your help urgently.
    Thanks,
  2. ndinakar Member

30 mill records is not really that big for SQL Server. Also, you should not partition just because the table has grown. There should be proper partitioning keys to partition on. I think analysing the indexes - dropping/recreating the right indexes will help more than partitioning.
  3. martins New Member

I agree with the above comment.
    If you have done that and you still want to archive data the only option you have in SQL2k is to either create an archive table and transfer some data into it (based on a certain perdiod usually if you have a date field), or if you do not need older data at all I woud suggest that you export it to a text file and backup the text file.