SQL Server Performance

Tasks in DTS packages where are they located in Database?

Discussion in 'SQL Server DTS-Related Questions' started by vermajees, Jan 2, 2008.

1. vermajees New Member

Hi,
    I wanted to find out all the task that are there in a particular DTS package using a T-SQL query on msdb database if it is stored out there.
    I was able to locate a package using msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages table, but I couldn't find a table for tasks associated a particular package.
    My primary objective is to find a list of all tasks associated with a DTS package.
    Any Help will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    San
  2. MohammedU New Member

The information you are looking for is stored in sysdtspackages.packagedata column in HEX format. I don't think you get anything out of it...
    Either you have open the package do it manually or you can save the package vb script and seach for it which very difficult to impossible...
  3. vermajees New Member

Thanks for the help. Appreciated
  4. satya Moderator

To addup MU, your best bet would be to export the DTS packages to clear text files and
    then import them into a SQL Table that you maintain. In fact, you could do all of this via a DTS package as well as a sorta, self-documenting package!
  5. MohammedU New Member

Poster is interested in details of the tasks inside the package for documentation and I don't think there is any way to save DTS package(s) to clear text files to get the info.
  6. satya Moderator

Clear text file means to .DTS files.
  7. MohammedU New Member

I don't think we can read .dts files...
  8. satya Moderator

You can open by doulble clicking it where you will see SSIS to configure the same.
  9. MohammedU New Member

Interesting...I will try...
    Thanks,