SQL Server Performance

TCP Transport error SQL 2005 SP2

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by krajdeep, Jul 27, 2008.

1. krajdeep New Member

I have a weird problem on three of my new HP ProLiant DL585 G2 machines with SQL 2005 SP2. When I run a SQL query from these machines connecting to any other SQL machines in the network via SQL management studio I get following error: If the query does not return resultset after 34 second then the below error is thrown however if I disable TCP/IP in the client protocol and use Named Pipes then the error does not occur and query can run more than 34 second without any error.
    Msg 121, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)

I have investigated hardware/network area but does not see any issue, there's no packet loss or high latency between the machines in the network. I have also upgraded the NIC drivers to the latest available from HP's site.
    I have exhausted all investigation and research at this point, any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
  2. satya Moderator

3. hsobrevilla New Member

Hello.
    Can you resolved the problem?. I'm interesting because i have the same problem.