SQL Server Performance

Tempdb optimization question

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by mhenderson, Jan 10, 2009.

1. mhenderson New Member

I have been reading about tempdb and best practices. I keep reading about a rule of thumb is to have as many data files as there are physical CPUs.
    Is there any further gains to be had by putting the files on different drives?
    For example if I have a server with 4 CPUs, and four drives available, does it make any difference putting one data file on each drive? Or would I get the same performance putting 4 files on one drive?
    Thanks,
    Mike
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hi Mike,
    Assuming there is no bottleneck further down the IO path, you would probably get a performance gain from adding additional IO paths in the operating system for tempdb. So if you have the possibility of putting the files on different drives, you should definitely do it.
    /Elisabeth
  4. MohammedU New Member

I agree with Elisabeth...
  5. satya Moderator

How busy is your database and TEMPDB usage in terms of day-to-day operations?
  6. FrankKalis Moderator

The SQL Server storage engine team recently had a great series of article regarding tempDB performance and troubleshooting.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverstorageengine/default.aspx
  7. satya Moderator