SQL Server Performance

The Cost of Toilet Paper

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 22, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I was reading an article today about a company that is providing a gigabyte of storage in the cloud for $0.15 per month. This equates to about $180 per year for 100GB of storage. This sounds cheap but when you compare this cost to a Seagate Barracuda, which retails for $300 for 1TB of storage, the cost is only $30 for 100GB of storage. I find it funny that many companies scrimp on storage when it is a relatively inexpensive commodity. I have lost count the number of times that I have needed to hunt around to make extra space on a server in order to restore a copy of a database. When you compare the economics of storage space to toilet paper, it is questionable as to why many organisations do not have sufficient storage capacity.
    A recent survey released by the makers of Charmin-brand toilet paper estimates that the average person uses 67 sheets of toilet paper per day. A typical pack of toilet paper contains six rolls and retails for $6.00 and the average toilet roll has 240 sheets per roll. This means that a pack of toilet paper containing six rolls will last the average person about 21 days. If you amortize this cost out then toilet paper costs $104.00 per year. As 30% of your time is spent at work, it costs a company $31.20 a year per person to supply toilet paper. So next time your boss does not approve an extra 100GB of storage for the SAN mention that it will cost more for the company to supply you toilet paper for the next year then it will for the storage.
    - Peter Ward