SQL Server Performance

The End of DBAs

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 30, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I was having coffee with a customer this morning and they mentioned the editorial I wrote yesterday on SQL Server in the cloud. I was interested in their point of view on the role of DBAs in the future. I have to admit that I have never really thought that the need for DBAs will become redundant in the future. However, after an hour of discussion and two coffees I am not quite sure if the role of a DBA as we know it today will exist in 10 years.
    Think of it this way, if you can lease a part of SQL Server in the cloud for $100 a day that would equate to $36,500 a year, which is significantly less than the salary of a DBA. The difference with SQL Server being hosted in the cloud is that the resources available to you are theoretically impossible to max and someone else is managing the resource for you. Although I am sure that there will be a few organisations that will want to keep their data close to their chests rather than hosting it, at $100 a day why wouldn't you host SQL Server in the cloud? Where do you see the role of a SQL Server DBA in 10 years?
    - Peter Ward
  2. vikasrajput New Member

Cloud computing, on face of it, does seems to be a threat to DBA (or even SysAdmins for that matter). But for me its not as straight forward an equation. You might be saving good amount by going to cloud, but at what cost? (and just to name a few actually...)- SOX & Security compliance: Today organizations arent allowing even the hard copies of data/emails etc to get out of their premises. How would you know that the cloud'ed server hosting your data isnt having an USB port which is active at this veyr moment and is actually taking things out of your hand? One might say it can happen anyhow, but atleast you have a satisfaction that you are trying to control it "yourself".- Disaster Recovery becomes more important:With cloud getting in picture, you have more points of failure; and more points of breach. With cloud infrastructure, your DR plan would not be just your's - you would need to analyze how your service provider fair against/ towards them. You might have some SLAs defined, are they matching up with that of your provider? For example, Amazon is one of such provider and there had been instance where there infrastructure had been down for entire day, causing whole lot of business for obvious reasons. - Cloud Infra/DBA doing "everything" for you:I dont think it will happen anytime soon. If I look at an operational DBAs perspective; he designs, tunes, optimize (and do much more to) your DBs, servers, and application. He works closely with your Dev teams towards data rollouts, even owning change management at times; act as data analyst for example. I foresee Cloud Infrsatructure DBAs being highly speacilized - who can work on a BIG scale, having tools to exercise recurring tasks/investigations efficiently. But think about it, would you expect them to be able to dedicate time for you in ways what your traditional DBA is doing? Even if it does happen somehow, I see instances where current operational DBA filling in as Database Application Integrators/ Administrators rather. I wont decline from the chances, they are always there. When companies migrate towards hosted DB solutions, our traditional DBAs are bound to be impacted. But:a. it wont be as simple as plug in and plug out; and b. it would lead to rise of what we might see as Development DBA or Apps DBA (as what we have already noticed in Oracle arena).In short, is it "The End of DBAs"? No, I dont think so! :)
  3. Anonymous New Member

Pingback from The End of DBAs! « Queer Colors of Life