SQL Server Performance

The file *.mdf is missing and needs to restore

Discussion in 'Windows Server Forum' started by kyra, Jun 20, 2011.

1. kyra New Member

Hi,

I came across this error " The file *.mdf is missing and needs to restore" .can anyone provide me proper solution to come out of this situation?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

If *.mdf is missing you have to restore the last good backup.
    But before that, check if *.mdf was changed to something else.
    Now, when do you get that message?
  3. satya Moderator

This means the database is unavailable on SQL Server, are you trying to attach the database?

Where and when did you get this message?
  4. hing123 New Member

hi,

“The file *.mdf is missing and needs to restore”
    I would like to know what SQL Server you are working on and when you get this message.
    This Error is quite common for the SQL Server users who store data in the form of MDF files. If you have lost your MDF files due to any error or such you should go for any data recovery tool to recover corrupt MDF files. I would suggest this as the best option for restoration of data from the corrupt form.
  5. satya Moderator

Hing123,
    How can you recover the data when the actual .MDF file is missing, in any case it is essential to maintain a good backup for the database to recover.
  6. Hemantgiri New Member

Hi Kyra,
    It would be good if you post the complete error message and when/where do you get this message. It would be then easy for us to help you resolve this issue.

Regards
  7. kyra New Member

hi,
    I have SQL Server 2005
  8. kyra New Member

hing123,

“The file *.mdf is missing and needs to restore”
    I would like to know what SQL Server you are working on and when you get this message.
    This Error is quite common for the SQL Server users who store data in the form of MDF files. If you have lost your MDF files due to any error or such you should go for any data recovery tool to recover corrupt MDF files. I would suggest this as the best option for restoration of data from the corrupt form.

I have SQL Server 2005. I got this message while executing MDF files present under the user database I created. I think my SQL Server Database is corrupted and all the MDF files are needed to be repaired.
    Can you suggest any software which can help me to recover sql files.
    Thanks
  9. hing123 New Member

Hi kyra,
    Have created backup of your MDF files?
    Check the actual error by running the command
    DBCC CHECKDB
    The reason for missing mdf files can be any virus or Trojan, of if you have overwritten any mdf files. If you have already created backup of your mdf files by using SQL Restore process available in the software which is used for creating automatic backup.
    You can easily restore SQL files from the backup stored in the database.
    If you have skipped the restoration step, then you can use a third party tool for (http://www.sqlserverdatabase.com/)sql recovery process which can help you to access your database even if your mdf files is missiong or corrupted.

Thanks
  10. MichaelB Member

How are you executing MDF files? they are not executible? Can you connect to the database or server using Management Studio?
  11. satya Moderator

I see there is a mis-communication here from the OP (Kyra) having no clue or information about the problem, unless it is cleared we will be adding replies to this thread.
  12. pyale New Member

I'm sorry, but that's possibly the worst, most mis-leading advice I've seen in a long time. I've had a look at the recommended "recovery software" webpage, and the description scares the living daylights out of me. It's written in poor English, doesn't actually give any technical information about what it attempts to do, sounds very much like a total con, and at very best it will simply fail to do what it claims to do. At worst, it could make your situation even worse than it is now. If they weren't risking your data and chargingn you for the privilege, it would actually be quite funny.

You cannot execute MDF files (why would you even try??) and you most certainly cannot acess your database if the MDF files are missing (contrary to what Hing123 states above). Seriously, if you are unaware of the basic things like this, then with the greatest respect you should not be in charge of a database.

Restore your database using your most recent backup. If you do not have a backup, and if you have genuinely lost the MDF files, then I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. Your database is lost. As has been said above, taking regular backups is essential, and is the only reliable way to recover from catastrophic data loss of this sort.
  13. FrankKalis Moderator

Agree with Satya. We know far too little about the whole context to provide anything but common places. :)
  14. satya Moderator

Hi Pyale, welcome to the forums.

I have seen that sqlserverdatabase.com/sql recovery tool post in many forums and blogs, the problem is the Original poster of the question is AWOL which leave the question as an open one. So its better to leave their goodselves and see if they are interested they can come back here again.

Appreciate and agree with your comments :) :)
  15. rebeccajones New Member

Keeping recent valid backup copy is always helpful in restoring the back but, in case of unavailability of backup **edited as it is advertisement**
  16. satya Moderator

Please refrain quoting third party tool advertisement, rather it will be ideal to post your related thread or information in Third party tools section.
    It is better to keep the forum sections with real-time working tasks than referring to any tool.