SQL Server Performance

The semaphore timeout period has expired error

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Kcmjr, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Kcmjr New Member

I've been assigned with finding the issue behind this error on one of our production systems:
    TCP Provider: The semaphore timeout period hasexpired. [SQLSTATE 07008] (Error 121) OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" forlinked server "SERVER1" returned message "Communication linkfailure". [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7412). The step failed.
    I've Googled the error to death, searched the forums here and at other SQL sites as well and have found nothing that points me at the cause. I've found the individual parts of the error but not the whole. Maybe I've just been looking at it too long and am missing something simple. Anyone have any ideas?
    These are two linked SQL2005 servers. The error comes when an automated daily job is run. Sometimes it happens at once, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after an hour. I can see nothing wrong with the server itself or the network.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. anandchatterjee New Member

I think, when you are trying to access some table through link server, some other process is locking that object..and due to that you are getting this error..But Im not sure.
  3. satya Moderator