SQL Server Performance

Third Party Front End Solutions

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by jlucht01, Feb 9, 2007.

1. jlucht01 New Member

We are a medium Sized company with only three people in our IT Department. We are looking for some "Off the Shelf" Type Data Entry Solutions. We have a lot of Access DB's floating around that Billy Bob in engineering created. They have poor structure at best. We are starting to Migrate our databases to the SQL Server where they belong, But how do the users enter the data in?

What do you use?

Thanks
    Joe

2. satya Moderator

You can still use Access to generate required forms to enable the end-users to enter the data by using SQL SErver as back end. If you google for the third party tool you might get more information, at the same time you might refere to the Software Spotlight section in this website about such tools.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

I know you are looking for off the shelf products, but finding ones that replace your current Access applications will be very difficult to find. Instead, I suggest you investigate using a web-based front-end. Using a tool such as Microsoft's Expression Web to create data access pages is fairly simple to learn, and at the same time gives you a lot of flexibility. You will also probably want to create new SQL Server databases from scratch and move the Access data over to SQL Server. Upsizing an Access database to SQL Server (as is) is usually a mistake.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
  4. jlucht01 New Member

Thanks Brad, I am looking into it. I hav done some web design in the past but stuck to straight HTML, I guess its time to look into some new languages.

Thanks

Joe