SQL Server Performance

Third Party Tools

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by rules, Sep 29, 2007.

1. rules New Member

Hi Champs,
    I was just curious , will there be any issues with backup/restore if we are using SQL Litespeed. I mean to ask does it have any drawbacks or shortcomings.
    Thanks in Advance.
  2. satya Moderator

3. frdba New Member

Hello satya,
    Why not use 3rd party tools? Apps like Litespeed and SQL Safe perform backups and restores in the blink of an eye! We have a 500gb database that can be backed up in 16min with Litespeed!! And it is compressed down to 84gb. Now to me- that's worth it :)
  4. dineshasanka Moderator

I think SQL Server native backups needs more tunning. It is not effecint in size and time wise. Also, you cannot do encryption for backups from native SQL Server whcih is a very much a need
  5. satya Moderator

I may sound like I don't like third party tools, not entirely true.
    I would say if the native methods are taking longer time to finish, it is the time to look for hardware and other factors that might contributing for such slower performance. I agree that third party tools will have such flexibility to make life easier, but always test them in complete manner.
    That is the reason we have a spotlight articles section here that gives you more idea on what to use or not. In any case for such doubts or information I suggest to contact vendor too.