SQL Server Performance

Time Off

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 22, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I am not sure if it is an Australian thing, but many IT workers do not take annual leave until they are forced to. In Australia, full-time employees are entitled to four weeks of annual leave - that is holidays with full pay. However, despite the fact that the time off is paid for, it is only when an employee is forced to take holidays due to their leave liability that they take a break. I personally think that a person does not function at optimal levels unless they stop and take some time away from work to recharge the batteries. I think that people in the IT sector need this break more than many other industries especially due to the high levels of mental activity and the long hours that many people work.
    In fact, I am using the excuse of going to Vietnam for a friend's wedding to take a two-week break and unplug for a little while. Being in IT I know how hard it can be to put the computer down and leave the inbox for a few days. With the ability to connect from almost anywhere, I think that there are now even more opportunities for people to take a break, as even in the worst-case scenario you can always RDP into a server from an Internet café no matter how far off the beaten track you are. Are you planning on taking some time off so that you can start 2009 all refreshed?
    - Peter Ward