SQL Server Performance

Tips for improvement and being future site for SQL server

Discussion in 'Please Tell Us What You Think' started by viksar, Feb 12, 2009.

1. viksar New Member

There should be a online chat option, possible with queing up and also for each user max time devoted in this chat to be 3 min or 5 min.
    Also there should be atleast one moderator all the time to answer question.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Some random thoughts of my own...
    After all this is a community driven site. Everyone participating here is doing this in his spare time. We have several moderators here, but if I understand you correctly that you suggest that there should be at least one mod online all the time, you're asking more for a support-kind of site, which you will be very unlikely to find for free.
    Even on the MS forums you have no guarantee that a question will be answered in a timely manner. Let alone, that it is answered at all.
    The number of people answering questions here regularly boils down to a very small percentage compared to the number of people registered. While this is a quite normal behaviour, personally I think it would be nice if more people just step up, get in the ring, and answer questions. [:)]
    As for the chat: If you have such a chat, only the people in that chat room can take advantage of that discussion. However, when you ask in the public forums, anyone reading the thread can take advantage of that content. Personally I prefer the second way.
  3. satya Moderator

Well articulated by the Frank on the terms of how a community driven site will be without much expectations.
    Your option of solving the problems in a chat may not be feasible for certain experts and it may be individual choice to help the user with an email or replying to a post here on the forums. Given the current economic climate I believe it may not come into existence unless there is a monetary fee is based.
    I bet you will find atleast 1 moderator here online, based upon the GLOBAL time difference and number of registered members here.
  4. admin Guest

I second Satya and Franks opinion on this. Online chat is more of a support tool as opposed to a learning tool. I can't really see a free online SQL Server support service springing up anytime soon.
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

Agree with Jude (just apply transitive mathematical low).
  6. satya Moderator

Somethings aren't free in this world... [:)] and it may be a good idea to get this up on SSP provding a set of resources to take care of such actions.
  7. Juvi52 New Member

I think SQL Server uses a lock to prevent multiple users from making conflicting changes to a set of data. This consequently comes with a performance hit. Sometimes this lock is not necessary eg Lookup tables. Using the NOLOCK command removes the unnecessary overhead.
  8. FrankKalis Moderator

[quote user="Juvi52"]I think SQL Server uses a lock to prevent multiple users from making conflicting changes to a set of data. This consequently comes with a performance hit. Sometimes this lock is not necessary eg Lookup tables. Using the NOLOCK command removes the unnecessary overhead.[/quote]
    Hm, are you sure that this is the thread you actually wanted to reply to?
  9. satya Moderator

Appreciate your reply here, but it doesn't seems to related to the topic.