SQL Server Performance

Tivoli backup software (TSM) in MS windows 2008 cluster active/passive environmen

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Clustering' started by moh_hassan20, Apr 28, 2010.

1. moh_hassan20 New Member

I have :
    - one server windows 2008 SP2 as a domain controller (DC).
    - Two nodes as a cluster server active/passive running sqlserver 2008 enterprise in win 2008 .
    - IBM SAN ds4700 with the Fiber tape connected to SAN via fiber cable.
    every node is connected to SAN using two HBA, and all disks in SAN are dedicated to sql server.

Tivoli server (TSM) software is used as a backup server.
    I found that TSM is a cluster aware software.

i want to install both TSM server /client on the two nodes in such a way:
    The passive node of sql server is used as TSM server , and active node as TSM client
    in that senario , the passive node work as a backup server for the active sql server.

My question:

q1: Do i need extra HBA for every node in the cluster which should be zoned with tape only?
    q2: is there any overhead for that setup, or consideration that i can take into account?
    q3: any one have other sucessfull setup for the TSM for such environment.
    thanks
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Have you found a solution to it in the meantime?
  3. moh_hassan20 New Member

TSM software is not installed yet, in the meantime, Tape is connected To SAN Switch
    When they finish installation , i will post the final solution.
  4. alent1234 New Member

i would be careful with this. i run netbackup and that installs Sybase to handle internal operations. Tivoli probably installs a lite version of DB2 or Informix or something similar.
    my opinion is to minimize the amount of software on each server and the types of software. i would suggest installing a separate server for Tivoli.
    for netbackup to run SAN backups the backup server software has to run on x64 ^nix. not sure about Tivoli, but you should check. along with the HCL for the HBA's since it's driver dependent and there are some specific features in the HBA drivers that enable backups over the SAN fiber.
    and i think you will need extra HBA's to limit backups over the backup SAN
    i had to research this last year because we looked at backing up 10-20 SQL servers over the SAN. ended up doing it the cheap way via the network and a SAS tape library and don't regret it one bit. we backup 6TB or so for weekly fulls and not sure about the daily diff backups. add another 5TB for monthly archive data and we don't have any problems with the backup window.
  5. satya Moderator

I doubt that TSM is cluster aware, so better to check with IBM to get such information. As your chances are slim that similar set of configuration is used elsewhere.