SQL Server Performance

To make a Database connection

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by ks9072, Jul 14, 2003.

1. ks9072 New Member

Hi All,
    To make a Database connection from Windows workstation/Window 2000 desktop to MSSQL 2000 Database using VB6 Program, What are the components I should install on my workstations?

Regards
    Sri
  2. rushmada New Member

U should have atleast Sql client connectivity tools(Preferable sql 2k) should be installed in the Windows workstation or 2000 desktop, DSN should be defined in the ODBC
    data source administrator under system dsn and test the dsn by connecting to the server.

Thanks.

Rushendra
  3. Chappy New Member

My recommendation would be to use ADO and connect using OLEDB, rather than ODBC. For this you will need MDAC runtime installed, search for it on microsoft site
  4. satya Moderator

True, check this link http://www.connectionstrings.com/] for detailed information and resources for syntax to create connections.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  5. gaurav_bindlish New Member

You will need to install just the Microsoft Data Access Componenets (MDAC) if you wish to connect using VB only. However if you would like an interface to query database directly, you will need SQL Server Query Analyzer. This is generally preferred on Development machines and not on production machines.

I agree with Chappy that OLE DB connection usinf ADO is the best way to connect to Database and for that you need not make a DSN.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  6. ks9072 New Member

Many thanks for all,

Is it possible to include the MDAC runtime components my VB EXE (Program)? or Just I need to install the MDAC runtime along with the VB EXE

Regards
    Sri

7. gaurav_bindlish New Member

Well you can install MDAC as a part of the setup for your VB Program. You'll need to do some coding in installshield though.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  8. ks9072 New Member

Hi,

I installed a PC with windows 2000 professional edition and tried to connect to the MSSQL server 2000 standard with VB exe, I could able to get the database connection. How it is possible with the MDAC??
    Sri
  9. gaurav_bindlish New Member

I guess Microsoft Data access components are installed by defualt on newer version of Windows.

Gaurav
  10. royv New Member

Windows 2000 without any service packs comes with MDAC 2.5

"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"