SQL Server Performance

tool to convert .txt to .dbf

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by yanke_zulu, Dec 22, 2003.

1. yanke_zulu New Member

We have a mainframe that we can download data in .txt format
    I want to convert those .txt files to .dbf to use in sql server
    But I want to convert 100 of them everyday so I dont want to convert them one by one
    Is there any tool or program that I can convert them automatically everyday.

Thanks in advance

2. Luis Martin Moderator

How about txt into SQL using import?

Luis Martin

...Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
    Bertrand Russell
  3. satya Moderator

4. satya Moderator

My solution is meant to import those .TXT files to SQL Server and if you're specific about converting .TXT to .DBF then search under GOOGLE for any third party tool.

Other way round is import to SQL server using DTS and again export to .DBF agains using DTS wizard.

HTH

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  5. bambola New Member

You could use BCP utility. it's fast and quite simple. Check BOL for more details.

DECLARE @bcpCommand varchar(255)
    , @RC int

SELECT @bcpCommand = 'bcp db_name.dbo.table_name in "' + @aFileName + '" -c -t, -S SERVER_NAME -T'

EXEC @RC = master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @bcpCommand, no_output
  6. Negative New Member

If you really want to convert to DBF format and have Visual Studio 6 you can write a simple Visual Fox Pro application that will do the conversion for you.