SQL Server Performance

Trace Files to .txt

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by kbz0n, Jun 20, 2004.

1. kbz0n New Member

Hi thanks for the possible answers:

I work with trace files of SQL Server 7, I don't have access to any database, so I don't generate the ".trc" files. I only receive them and my work is to analyze them. I only have access to the SQL Profiler, the problem is that when I do a search, it takes a really long time (my PC is very slow ). I was wondering if there is a way to transfer these trace files to text files so I can use an utility I have for analyzing text files. I can do the "copy-paste" thing from the Profiler to a notepad, but the trace files I work with are really big, so it takes me a lot time to do it. Is there any utility to change the .trc to .txt? thanks very much
  2. satya Moderator

You can install SQL client tools on your PC and use PROFILER to view those .TRC files.

Yes you can set the PROFILER trace results to a text file, refer to books online for more information on saving trace results to text file.

May review this linkhttp://www.winnetmag.com/SQLServer/Article/ArticleID/20126/SQLServer_20126.html about SQL 2000 Profiler advantages.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

If you can search trc files, then you allready have tools, I pressume.

"the problem is that when I do a search, it takes a really long time (my PC is very slow )"

May be your searching for all columns, when you can search by column.
    BTW: What you are searching?

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

4. gaurav_bindlish New Member

The better way would be if you search in a database. I think there is an option of exporting the .trc data to SQL Server. I know for sure you can store the resutlts in database when the trace is running.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
  5. satya Moderator

... make sure to store results in a seperate database rather than storing on the same database which is being monitored.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  6. ykchakri New Member

You can not directly convert a .trc file to .txt file. Last time when I felt the need of it, Here's what I did:

1. Opened the trace file using profiler.
    2. Saved as a trace table into a sample database (need not be the same server as the trace)
    3. Then exported this table into text file using DTS.