SQL Server Performance

tranfer SQL sever 2005 user login, password as well as permission

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by marrow, Apr 21, 2008.

1. marrow New Member

One problem I am experiencing is that I can’t restore master DB of SQL Server 2005 to another SQL Server 2005, the SQL Server seems doesn’t like that. This is what is difference from SQL Server 2000. Right now I have setup SQL Server 2005 log shipping to another servers and it is working well. The only thing left is how to sync SQL login to the target server. This link http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175535.aspx says that “You can restore the master database only from a backup that is created on an instance of SQL Server 2005”, this means that this is the option by default. I can't script out the login with permissoin I need on target server but I find it doesn’t work on target server. This action doesn’t script out the database the user can access. I want to grant another user in the target DB to the read only log shipping DB on target server. It seems not possible other than granted SQL sysadmin prilvilege.
    Any suggestion?
  2. satya Moderator

3. marrow New Member

That one only transfer login and password, but not permission, I didn't try it out yet.
    I have tried script out the login also but that action is useless.