SQL Server Performance

Trans. Replication - adding a table

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for SQL Server Replication' started by bj007, Oct 26, 2005.

1. bj007 New Member

DBAs,
    I have to add a few tables to the existing set of replication tables. I added them in the publisher article. Now what should I do for it to be replicated. should I run the snapshot agent ? When I try to run it, it is generating articles of the existing tables as well. This is not needed in the subscriber, as subscriber already has the original tables already. I need only the extra tables.

Also, my worry is, I added 2 extra columns to the set of original tables at the subscribing server. Taking a fresh snapshot of the original tables, will cause any inconsistencies ? If it tries to apply them at the subscribed end, these 2 additional columns may cause the bulk insert to fail.

When I tried running snapshot agent last night, I got this error: The process could not bulk copy out of table '[dbo].[syncobj_0x3434383941383344]. I do not have a table called syncobj_* table. Is this an internal reference to my table? In that case, how will i know what caused the error ?

Thanks a lot.
    bj
  2. satya Moderator

If there are any schema changes then it is better to refresh the replication to take new settings affect, otherwise you tend to see such errors.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.