SQL Server Performance

Transaction Log file Full with checkpoint

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Fais, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Fais New Member

This is related to SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition.

One of the database log file is 100 % full and its log_reuse_wait_desc = CHECKPOINT ( from sys.databases)

Can anyone let me know what has to be done to free space it the log file.

Note : This database is not part of backup strategy.( no full backup nor log backups) Just trying to give more info.

Thanks
  2. arunyadav Member

Hello Fais,
    It is always good to have a backup strategy in place. I think you should have a backup strategy for this database. Secondly, is the file growth restricted? How much space is available in the drive? What is the recovery model of this database?
    If the recover model is Simple then I think this situation will not occur and if it is in full or bulk-logged then a backup strategy can help. To understand more on why this kind of situation occurs refer to the below KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317375
  3. satya Moderator

Fix the symptoms first, obtain a backup schedule a daily backup or keep DB in SIMPLE recovery model, it is not advisable to simply firefight the issues by adding more space to TLOG without recovering the actual problem.
  4. Fais New Member

Thanks for your replies.
    Database in queston is already in Simple recovery mode.
    Unfortunately at this point of time , management has no plan for backing this databases ( 1 TB in size :) ). May be in future.
    Please advise.
  5. venkatesanj@hcl.in New Member

6. satya Moderator

It is one of the scariest decision that your Management is not willing to go for a backup, well its their problem now.
    Please note the DB size may be 1TB but the backup size may not be... so you need to check whether any free space available on the database.
    If you can find some space where the backup of this database can fit then obtain a backup now. Otherwise within no time you will post another question here how to recover the DB [:)] I wish you should not... but you never know.