SQL Server Performance

Transactional Log shrinking for Relication Databases

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by rayala.thulasi, Jun 17, 2010.

1. rayala.thulasi New Member

Dear All.
    I have Configured the Replication process for our Production Database Servers , and the transactional log is increasing. Here i am planning to shrink the transactional log file for those Databases. Here i am suspecting one that Shrinking the Transactional Log for replication databases will have any impact on Replication Process?
    Thanks,
    Thulasi.
  2. ndinakar Member

check if there is any latency between distributor and subscribor.. is your replication running fine or running behind? if the transactions are not being applied fast enough on the subscriber you cannot shring the log as the transactions marked for replication will not be cleared until they are applied on the subscriber.. If you consistently have this issue then may be you need to increase the size of your log files..
  3. satya Moderator

4. rayala.thulasi New Member

HI Satya,
    We are taking every one hour transactional log backup for those databases.
  5. ghemant Moderator

Thulasi,
    As mentioned by Dinakar, you shouldn't shrink the T-Log as it wound have the transaction log marked for replication to be replicated. And with replication its the default behaviour, TLog will grow and hence you should have ample space for the t-log for replicatied database and distribution database. Are there any other activity / job which is causing T-Log to increase faster other then the replication!!
  6. ashish287 New Member

best way to ignore these problem is take frequent t-log backup and reduce the objects which are not required for replication.
    Also set job which runs every 5 min and can mail you if replication broken.
  7. satya Moderator

Well I would consider taking it carefully and not chop down the interval from 1hour to 5 minutes, as you may never know if the transaction log is huge to copy & restore on secondary server.
    In any case I insist that unless you have any storage issues on primary server you shouldn't shrink or take any route to cut down the transaction log.