SQL Server Performance

Transactional Replication

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for SQL Server Replication' started by hftho, Oct 3, 2006.

1. hftho New Member

In my scenario, I've a production server and I'm thinking to setup a backup server and restore a copy of my production database to the backup server, then using Transactional Replication method to update the backup server to keep the data of the backup server as up-to-date as the production server. However, my concern is whether running the Transaction Replication will over-load (in term of CPU and memory usage and in term of locking issue) my production server and affect the performance of my system.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice....
  2. catullus Member

Replication will definitely have a performance impact. Isn't it better to use log shipping? I assume you already make a log backup. Scheduling this log backup every five minutes is less of a performance impact, though your hot spare server will a little more behind.
    If you do decide to use replication, setting up the Distributor on another server than your production server (Publisher) will lessen the performance impact.
  3. dineshasanka Moderator

Agreed.
    Replication will put some performance and admin work on the server. Anyway, you can schedule the replication to happen with some long time interval.
    But then you have to take backups of productions dbs, MSDB, Distribution dbs as well

----------------------------------------
    Contributing Editor, Writer & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com