SQL Server Performance

Transactions Per Second

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by msirchia, Feb 11, 2003.

1. msirchia New Member

I am trying to boost the amount of transactions per second the my database server can process. I have been actively monitoring the fundamental database, memory, system, processor, and disk i/o counters. I do not see any bottlenecks in my server at all. What is interesting is that I seem to top out on a per connection basis. In other words, there is only so many transactions I can process per second per connection. However, upon adding more connections, my performance increases by two. Is there a way to throttle the server so that I can increase the transactions per second per connection?
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

There is no way to control "throttle" a SQL Server to do what you want to accomplish. The closest you can come to this, but it won't help you, is to limit the number of CPUs used by SQL Server.

Based on what you described, it appears that your application is the bottleneck, not SQL Server. This is actually quite a common problem. More often than not, SQL Server has plenty of room for more work, only if the application were better designed to make better use of SQL Server.

If I were you, I would use Profiler to trace activity and see if you can determine what is going on and causing the behavior you describe. Most likely, it will require some change to the application, assuming that is possible.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. BigJimSlade New Member

I would be curious to see how many tps you are processing ... during my nightly loads i can hit about 300+ transaction per second

The box is a dual p4 1ghz proccessor 2 GB RAM and the data disks are on a RAID 10 SAN