SQL Server Performance

Trasactional Replication - I/O error

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for SQL Server Replication' started by cynault, Mar 13, 2008.

1. cynault New Member

For SQL Server 2000 SP4 Transactional Replication
    I’m using continuous transactional replication on a database with 780 tables for a total of 133GB. It is being replicated to a reporting server. Some columns on a couple of the tables needed to be increased. I’m not very savvy regarding replication. I don’t know how to make those changes without stopping replication. So, I stopped replication, deleted the subscription & removed the tables from the publication. Once the table changes were made, I added the tables back into the publication, re-pushed a subscription and started the snapshot agent. The snapshot agent kept blowing up with: I/O error while writing BCP data-file
    (Source: ODBC SQL Server Driver (ODBC); Error number: 0)
    I checked my snapshot location. It has 298GB free. I upped my BCPBatchSize to 500000. My QueryTimeout is 3000. MaxBCPThreads is 4. So, I have two issues:1.) What can I do to get my snapshot to run? I HAVE to have this working by Friday morning.2.) How could I have made the table changes without stopping the replication?
  2. satya Moderator

This sounds like a disk error where the data file is located or perhaps a disk full problem. Have a look at the disk that holds the distribution working folder to check if there's enough space.