SQL Server Performance

Trouble configuring AWE and setting policies.

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by keithcampbell, Dec 9, 2008.

1. keithcampbell New Member

I've been trying to configure a SQL Server 2000 instance running on Windows Server 2003 to use AWE. I've followed all the steps found here and elsewhere, specifically:
    1. Added the /PAE switch in boot ini
    2. Enabled AWE on the server with min and max memory
    3. Added the Lock Pages in Memory permission to the local policies for the account SQL runs under.
    4. Run GPUPDATE /force from command line
    5. Rebooted the box.
    The server is still not using the memory, and I'm getting this error in the logs: "Cannot use Address Windowing Extensions because lock memory privilege was not granted."
    Problem is, it HAS been granted. I've triple checked the account the service is running under. I've granted the permission to both the individual account and the group it is running under (Administrators). It still insists that the privledge has not been granted everytime I start SQL Server. The only thing I can think of is that this box is running on a Novell network. I'm wondering if any required services might have been disabled. Still, it's a local macine account, and I can't see anything amiss.
    Anyone run into something like this before?
  2. keithcampbell New Member

An update. On another forum I tracked down what I think is the trouble. Turns out this server is standard edition, not enterprise. This is a new assignment for me and I wasn't familiar with the software and assumed, becasue of the volume, that enterprise was installed.
    Of course, it would help if the error in the error log were something like "your server version can't support AWE memory" instead of sending me on a wild goose chase...