SQL Server Performance

Try to add a node to a new cluster setup but it said the node is already joined to a cluster

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by WingSzeto, Dec 11, 2008.

1. WingSzeto Member

I have set up a two-node-active-passive cluster for SQL server testing purpose and am ready to create a new cluster for production. So I remove the existing cluster and was trying to create a new one. When I add a node to the cluster, it said the node is joined in a cluster already. When I added the other node, it was succesful. All cluster setup for testing and production is done on the same two nodes and SAN. Here is what I did.
    1. I use the 'destroy cluster' feature in the Failover Cluster Management tool to wipe out the cluster I set up for testing.
    2. I renamed the computer name for both nodes and using new IP addresses.
    3. I checked the active directory and make sure the old computer names for the two nodes are not there.
    We only have one cluster setup which I erased so I am quite puzzled about why the Failover Cluster management tool thinks that node is joined to a cluster already. The failover cluster management tool doesn't show any existing cluster setup so it should mean there is no cluster existed. What can I do to make the tool thinks otherwise?
    Any pointers on this is very much appreciated. I am using Windows 2008 64 bit version with SQL 2008 std 64 bit version.
    Wingman
  2. satya Moderator

This is interesting, do you see any pointers in cluster.log and any other log file?