SQL Server Performance

Trying Something Different

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 9, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I think it is important to challenge yourself continually with something different. There have been numerous studies that have shown that people who continually extend their minds whether it be through puzzles such as Sudoku or games like chess are less likely to suffer Alzheimer's and other memory related diseases in later life. Many organisations try to stimulate team members by having them work in other departments to broaden their knowledge of the organisation and help them understand what challenges are being experience by other teams. This could involve a team member that normally works at the head office working on the shop floor or maybe someone in IT working with the marketing team for a week.
    Just as many Human Resource departments encourage this 'eye opening experience' to broaden an employee's knowledge, I think it is also important for IT professionals to continue to look at new technologies. I remember when I went through university; one of my lectures encouraged students to learn a new programming language each year. Although you may be a database professional, I think that it is important to try something new whether that is looking at PERL or maybe PowerShell or even CISCO networking, as these technologies can help provide a greater understanding of the interactions that a DBMS has with other systems. When was the last time you tried another technology outside your day-to-day activities?
    - Peter Ward