SQL Server Performance

Unable to archive Analysis Service database

Discussion in 'SQL Server DTS-Related Questions' started by Joozh, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Joozh New Member

Hello.

For strange reasons, I am now unable to backup (archive) any of the databases in Analysis Service.

When I try to archive, I get a dialog box with the following error:

"[MicroSoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified"

I am able to process my cubes and dimensions and am totally lost as to why I'm getting this problem.

Will appreciate your help.

Thanks.
  2. thomas New Member

Have you tried using the command-line msmdarch.exe utility?
  3. Joozh New Member

Thank you for the reply thomas.

No, I have never used this utiltiy but will give it a try. However in the 1st place I am confused becuase in the past I could backup my AS databases without any problems and now while trying to do teh same in exactly the same manner, why am i getting this error message???
  4. thomas New Member

No idea why. but try the command line utility with output to a text log file and it may give you some more insights. Don't forget to specify the server name.
  5. Joozh New Member

Thanks thomas.

I am unable to get the msmdarch utility to work but am sure I'll soon figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Below is the batch file (exactly) that I have made and which I am unable to get to work. Can you help identify the mistake I'm making. Will be grateful. BTW, how do I output the results to a text (log) file to see where the problem lies.

"C:program FilesMicrosoft Analysis ServicesBinmsmdarch" /a AXS119 "C:program FilesMicrosoft Analysis ServicesData" "DB1" "C:TEMPDB1_Backup.cab"

Regards.
  6. ranjitjain New Member

7. Joozh New Member

Hi ranjitjain,

Thanks for the reply.. Will go through the KB article. Hope this will help.

Regards.