SQL Server Performance

Unable to connect DB

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by anitadba2010, Jan 11, 2011.

1. anitadba2010 New Member

Hi All-

Last night below error occured and 31 jobs failed as MASH DB connection went down while run was attempting to initialize rungroup

RunGroupInitializer Log Snippet

Connecting to WPPROMASHSQLMASH...
    Exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' was caught.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    Stack trace:
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

I am able to connect MASH DB now.Does anyone have suggestions where to start from to isolate what happened last night resulting in below error. your suggestions are much appreciated

Thanks
    Anita

2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!.
    Any maintenance job was running that night?
  3. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Do you see any other error apart from above?
    I believe there could be a network blip or services restart that might have caused the problem with jobs. The best part is to check SQLAgent log & SQL error log to see if SQL Server & SQLAgent services were restarted or stopped.
    Also see the job failure reason by referring to their history.
  4. anitadba2010 New Member

Thanks Luis and Satya. I verifed event logs and SQL logs and SQL service didnt restart in that timeframe. However our network team isolated the issue to be netowork related and working on this. thanks for your responses :)

Anita
  5. satya Moderator

I believe you can deploy a strategy to alert in advance for such issues via an email or pager, based on the alerting mechansim you may have in your organisation.