SQL Server Performance

Unable to connect to server

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Yaakov Singer, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Yaakov Singer New Member

I am having trouble connecting to a database (on a web-based server).

I downloaded and installed SQL Server 2008 R2 (w/tools). (I am running Windows XP)
    I checked SQL Server Services:
    The SQL Server Browser is running; sql server (sqlexpress) is running;sql server agent (sqlexpress) is stopped.
    I enabled TCP/IP, enabled Named Pipes, and restarted both the browser and sql server (sqlexpress).
    I double and triple checked the server name / username / password.

Now I am getting this message:
    TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------
    Cannot connect to aish.vivadnn.com.
    ------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?Prod...rver&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

aish.vivadnn.com.
    This is the instance name?
  3. Yaakov Singer New Member

yes
  4. satya Moderator

Web based server? Is this not in your domain, are you trying to connect to a remote (internet) based server?
  5. Yaakov Singer New Member

It seems that the people on the server side closed all the ports.
    So, until that gets resolved, there is little to explore.

Thanks,
  6. satya Moderator

In that case find out what port the SQL server is listening, I see that its a remote (ISV) hosting server.
  7. Yaakov Singer New Member

Yes, thank you. It turns out that on the server side they only allow in specific IP Addresses. I had sent them my IP, but when the router goes down, since I don't have a static IP, I get assigned a new one. Once I sent them the new IP Address, the issue was resolved (after much anguish).
    Thank you!!