SQL Server Performance

Uninitialized subscription for pull merge subscription. Snapshot not applying, no error.

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by betulus, Oct 3, 2008.

1. betulus New Member

Hi there,

Can anyone explain this?

I haveset up new merge replication publication and subscription today. It isin a between non-trusted domains, so I can't access the remote snapshotfolder from the subscriber. To get round this is created a local copyof the snapshot manually.

I have set up a newmerge publication, created a snapshot, copied this to my subscriber.Set up a subscriber and pointed the snapshot folder of thissubscription at this local copy made at the publisher.

Alllooks good, no errors. However, when you open replication monitor, itshows the subscription as being uninitialized. I check the logs for themerge agent (at least I think that's what I'm looking at) and it says'In progress' Its been saying this for hours now. I suspect somethingis wrong but what!? There are no errors either end that I can see!

Also the schedule on the merge agent, would it be sensible to set this to run every minute?

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks
    betulus
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    What is the service pack level on the SQL Servers involved here?
  3. betulus New Member

Thanks for reply, its a standard SQL install with SP2. I have figured out how to add the detailed logging, And the output is below. When you look at the publication in Replication monitor the status says OK. The snapshots were generated successfully and I have copied them over to the machine acting as the subscriber. The replication is between non-trusted domains. I wonder if there are firewall issues. I have go through the exact same process with another site sucessfully.
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.070 Connecting to Subscriber 'CLSCOMLSQL02'
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.101 Connecting to OLE DB Subscriber at datasource: 'CLSCOMLSQL02', location: '', catalog: 'VRCore_CC_Rep', providerstring: '' using provider 'SQLNCLI'
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.273 OLE DB Subscriber: CLSCOMLSQL02
    DBMS: Microsoft SQL Server
    Version: 09.00.3159
    catalog name: VRCore_CC_Rep
    user name: dbo
    API conformance: 0
    SQL conformance: 0
    transaction capable: 1
    read only: F
    identifier quote char: "
    non_nullable_columns: 0
    owner usage: 15
    max table name len: 128
    max column name len: 128
    need long data len:
    max columns in table: 1000
    max columns in index: 16
    max char literal len: 131072
    max statement len: 131072
    max row size: 131072
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.320 OLE DB Subscriber 'CLSCOMLSQL02': {call sp_MSgetversion }
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.351 OLE DB Subscriber 'CLSCOMLSQL02': set nocount on declare @dbname sysname select @dbname = db_name() declare @collation nvarchar(255) select @collation = convert(nvarchar(255), databasepropertyex(@dbname, N'COLLATION')) select collationproperty(@collation, N'CODEPAGE') as 'CodePage', collationproperty(@collation, N'LCID') as 'LCID', collationproperty(@collation, N'COMPARISONSTYLE') as 'ComparisonStyle',cast(case when convert (int,databasepropertyex (@dbname,'comparisonstyle')) & 0x1 = 0x1 then 0 else 1 end as bit) as DB_CaseSensitive,cast(case when convert (int,serverproperty ('comparisonstyle')) & 0x1 = 0x1 then 0 else 1 end as bit) as Server_CaseSensitive set nocount off
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.445 The subscription to publication 'VRCore_CC' could not be verified. Ensure that all Merge Agent command line parameters are specified correctly and that the subscription is correctly configured. If the Publisher no longer has information about this subscription, drop and recreate the subscription.
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.507 Percent Complete: 0
    2008-10-03 14:48:07.539 Category:NULL
    Source: Merge Replication Provider
    Number: -2147201019
    Message: The subscription to publication 'VRCore_CC' could not be verified. Ensure that all Merge Agent command line parameters are specified correctly and that the subscription is correctly configured. If the Publisher no longer has information about this subscription, drop and recreate the subscription.
  4. tek_tim New Member

Hello,I am having the same error when I try to create a subscription to my publication. Can you please tell how you resolved this.Appreciate your help.
  5. Saurabh Srivastava New Member

create the nosync subscription copy all the meta data from
    the source (including the new rowguid column, constraint, triggers,
    indexes, statistics). Then created the subscription without initializing.
    See if that works
  6. betulus New Member

The problem I was having was eventually resolved by Microsoft. It was a problem they had never come across before where the publication database was corrupted in some way. This can easily be tested by setting up a publication on a different database and seeing if you can get a subscription to work with that.
  7. ponsee New Member

Could you please tell me how did you manage to setup Pull subscription.
    Best Regards
    Ponnu
  8. betulus New Member

The instructions on how to set up a pull subscription are on the MS site, if you are having a specific problem, then let me know.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151225.aspx
    Betulus
  9. ponsee New Member

Thanks.
    My publisher and subsribers are SQL Server 2000
    I want to take backup of Publisher to restore as a subscriber to set up PULL subscription