SQL Server Performance

Unused databases

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by CanadaDBA, Feb 17, 2011.

1. CanadaDBA New Member

There are many unused databases in my DEV and QA environments. The space they take is about 700 MB. So, wouldn't be much saving in space if I drop them. But my concern is to know that are they using SQL Server's resources? What kind of benefits the server would gain if I drop them?
    Note that we have scripts to recreate them and populate the production data whenever we need to do that.
    Thanks!
  2. shabnyc Member

Hello,
    If there is no connection to the databases, I dont think they using SQL server resources.
    I will take full backup of these DBs and remove them from servers. Or take them offline and if needed, I can bring them back online right away, However, this will casue errors for administrative jobs running on all DBs like backup all user DBs, reindex all user dbs, .....
    Regards,
  3. satya Moderator

How can you confirm that those databases are consuming server resources?
    The best option is to talk to the users and team that are using these databases, advise them how frequently and quickly they need these databases.
    If they are using resources means they are active by application or any other users. In this case what you can do is keep them READ ONLY mode for a while and then drop them.