SQL Server Performance

Upgrade sql server 2000 to 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by ismailadar, Feb 8, 2011.

1. ismailadar New Member

Hi all,
    I have an SQL server 2000 Instance and I want to upgrade it to SQL server 2008.Before upgarde i will use uggrade advisor.But i wanto know which points are critical. For example SQL server 2000 supoort *(star) operator in onder to join tables but sql server 2008 does not support it?
    Can you share your experience?
    Thanks in advance
  2. satya Moderator

3. ismailadar New Member

thanks for your reply i have started to check presentation but i prefer experiences to theoretical data :) and who has any idea?
  4. satya Moderator

The theoritical data depends from situation to situation, on a public presentation it cannot be stressed or highlighted a specific scenario.
    In the presentation I have referred about how to find the deprecated & discontinued features between the versions and also the process to follow on upgrade practices.q
  5. ismailadar New Member

6. satya Moderator

Well yes it is also one of the reference on my presentation...
  7. PurpleLady New Member

We're in the process of upgrading for production. When we moved one of our recent apps to SQL 2008 in development, the only issues we had were with the DTS packages. And we have yet to completely resolve those, but we're working on it. For the most part, it was a smooth and painless migration. I will say that, we were careful during the app development (done in SQL 2000) since we knew we would be working with SQL 2008 for the long term and avoided any of the deprecated features.
  8. satya Moderator

Thats a good thinking to have a vision that upgrade is planned well ahead [H][Y]. In terms of DTS packages issue I would say itis better to rewrite them in SSIS than continuting or migrating the existing ones.