SQL Server Performance

Upgrading from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Rick H., Oct 15, 2012.

1. Rick H. New Member

I'm starting to plan an upgrade to SQL Server 2008. Here is my current configuration:
    2 Clustered Servers running Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005.
    Want to upgrade Servers to Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008... clustered.
    Special note: These are the ONLY 2 Servers I have... I can't shift the databases to another Server.
    That part scares the c**p out of me.
    I'm guessing the best way to do this is (after storing backups in a secure place) to wipe out both Servers and start from scratch. I've been given 24 hours of downtime... which I'm thinking is not near enough.
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

The best approach here is to go with side by side installation way not in place installation to mitigate the risk here as much as possible , and here below is the steps:

1. Evict one of the cluster nodes out of current cluster ..

2. Format it and re-install it with Win 2008 R2 SP1 (Enterprise edition preferred)

3. Start Windows clustering with one node only and thus SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 clustering with one node also.

4. Switch over DBs from the old SQL Server 2005 instance to the new SQL Server 2008 R2 instance

5. Then format the 2nd node and re-install it with Win 2008 R2 SP1 and join it to the new windows cluster

6. Then , you can add it transparently to SQL Server cluster using this new great feature of SQL Server 2008 clustering “Add Node”

Here we should go safely of such upgrade processes including both Windows and SQL Server ..

Kindly work out this plan and let me know if any further help is needed
  3. Rick H. New Member

Thanks! Awesome advice... and it makes so much sense. Will implement exactly as you suggested.