SQL Server Performance

Urgent help: sql 2008 database configuration

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by sekharabcs, Nov 26, 2009.

1. sekharabcs New Member

hi all,
    I need to migrate my existing SQL Server to a new server which is having windows 2008 server OS and of 64 bit. I have the following hard drives configuration in my new server:
    Drive Free Space Total Space NotesC 26.1 39.9 Operating System E 92.9 93 Data disc F 2 2.99 Recovery data Physical Drive description: The above drives are in: 2 x 146GB 10K SAS Mirrored using RAID 1 in Disc 0
    D 804 837 Data discPhysical Drive description: The above drive is in: 3 x 450GB SAS 15K Stripped using RAID 5 in Disc 1

My current database sizes:

SQL Database (all databases) 17GB
    SQL Log Files (all databases) 41GB

Now, I need to give the best configuration where to place data files and log files. My database is used for an order placing application.

Please let me know where to place my data files are log files. I need this help urgently. I am also doing some research in the KB articles. Please help me.
    Many thanks
    Cheers
    Sekhar
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

E: SQL Databases files.
    D: User databases files.
    Wait for others members opinions.
  3. sekharabcs New Member

Thank you Luis for your reply.I have gone thru some of the kb articles and came to the below conclusion:My opinion:D: database files (because this drive is having RAID1)E: log files (because this drive is having RAID5)Please let me know if this is okay?Coming to your reply:Do you mean, like this:E: SQL db files (master, model, tempdb,msdb - both data and log files)??D: user db files (userdb1, userdb2 - both data and log files)??I have seen that it is better to keep data and log files as said in my opinion above.Please correct me? Thanks,Sekhar
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

In general is better to have data and log in different physical disk.
    But above is true with one user database. Now, when you have severals user databases, then may be is true may not.
    Since you know your installation better than I, I suggest to go on with D: Databases files and E: log files.
    And try to monitoring one moth to find out if all (disk) is in balance. If not, is easy to change some files or some logs.
    HTH
  5. satya Moderator

The answer is much wider in terms of not having any idea on what is the application objective, how it is designed, the application actions (reads or writes) on the database.
    In general what Luis suggested is right and if you have done a capacity exercise on database platform that can support existing configuration for next 3 years then go ahead and by keeping up the databsae optimization practices in place.