SQL Server Performance

Use of schemas

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by mpex04, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mpex04 New Member

Was wanting some input on the use of schemas for applications.

Basically, I have a database with all of the tables used in our data warehouse. There are a couple very small Access applications that use one or two queries to produce labels for printing. The procedures query a couple of the table in the database.

To allow for easy security maintenance, an AD group has been setup. I have created a schema for these applications. I give the AD group execute permission on the schema through a role. The procecures are then created in the schema using WITH EXECUTE AS 'dbo' to allow querying against tables outside the schema.

Is this a good use of schemas?
  2. dineshasanka Moderator

In SQL Server 2005, schema can be owned not only by a single user but also database roles or Windows groups. This allows for shared ownership of objects or the creation of application-specific schemas, which simplifies their development and maintenance, since you can refer to their objects using consistent schema names.

So I think you have used schma correctly

----------------------------------------

3. Bredsox New Member

quote:Originally posted by dineshasanka

In SQL Server 2005, schema can be owned not only by a single user but also database roles or Windows groups. This allows for shared ownership of objects or the creation of application-specific schemas, which simplifies their development and maintenance, since you can refer to their objects using consistent schema names.

So I think you have used schma correctly

----------------------------------------

I Agree.

Dan