SQL Server Performance

User DB movement question

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by David T, Oct 20, 2013.

1. David T New Member

Due to time restraints and uptime requirements, we decided to move luns to new hardware. We're running SQL Server 2005 SP2 CU3 on Windows 2003, the server in question is x86. We tested this solution in a smaller environment, and it seemed to work. We were able to move luns from two servers with exactly same Windows and SQL software. In test, we shut down SQL on one server, moved the LUNS, brought up the other SQL Server, attached the databases, restored msdb and security. We copied luns and tested that we could attach the databases, and tested connectivity, and so on. We detached those databases, and shut down the server. When we went to attach the real databases, and brought up SQL, it seems to have choked. I went in to attach the databases, but the vestiges of the old databases (from the test), apparently, were still in the database, and when I went into the file system, there was no data. I ended up restoring from the last backup, but I'm wondering where we went wrong?
    Again, I realize that this is not the best solution to moving databases, but the situation is what it is. When I detached the "test" luns, should I have dropped the databases, so they didn't show up in master?