SQL Server Performance

VFP Linked Server problems

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by kevinpublic, Nov 22, 2005.

1. kevinpublic New Member

We're using SQL Server for the majority of our applications, but our accounting package is still in VFP 8.0. I need to make some costing adjustements from our inventory program. I have linked the VFP database to SQL Server just fine and, using OPENQUERY, I can SELECT data without a hitch. Performing an UPDATE or INSERT, however, is a different story. I get the following error:

"Server: Msg 7301, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    Could not obtain a required interface from OLE DB provider 'VFPOLEDB'."

Scouring the internet wasn't very helpful on this. Can anyone offer me any suggestions?
  2. Haywood New Member

It means that the VFP provider doesn't support UPDATE/INSERT operations. Might want to call the VFP people and see if they have a specific provider that supports the required operation(s).

Assuming that you're using the default VFP db provider that the sql server comes installed with, and not already using a 3-rd party provider.

3. kevinpublic New Member

quote:Originally posted by Haywood

Assuming that you're using the default VFP db provider that the sql server comes installed with, and not already using a 3-rd party provider.

I am, indeed, using the default provider listed when creating a linked server. Is it the fault of the ODBC provider, or possibly the access to the VFP database?
  4. Haywood New Member

It's the provider, as indicated by the error complaining about not obtaining an interface.