SQL Server Performance

Virtual IP adress and SQL Server

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by viksar, Feb 16, 2009.

1. viksar New Member

I have 3 questions on Above subject
    1. How can we configure VIP's (Virtual IP address) for SQL Server??
    2. If we have to install 3 instances of SQL Server on single server (Not a virtual server) then how can we configure each instance for different VIP address.
    3. Also what test can we do to confirm that this Change has been configured properly??
  2. arunyadav Member

3. viksar New Member

Hi Arun,
    My server is not a virtual or cluster server so above links provided do not apply. Can you please update on how to update or add virtual IP Address to the SQL Server instance.
  4. daljit_ss New Member

for standalone sql server installations, you can not provide virtual IP's. virtual ip;s are only for cluster environments.
    The question fo you--> why you want to use three virtual ip;s for three instances on the server?
  5. viksar New Member

In that case, just want to clarify what TCP/IP properties does in SQL Server Configuration Manager TCP/IP Properties on the IP Addresses section.
    Don't we specify here IP address on which SQL server should listen to, provided global property 'Listen All' is set to No.
  6. arunyadav Member

If it is a standalone server, you can't specify virtual address since it is only for servers in cluster. Now for standalone server you might use Configuration manager to specify the IP Address and port number the server should listen to with Listen All to "NO".
  7. viksar New Member

I am not too good in networking, can you explain whats the difference between Normal IP address and Virtual IP address and how SQL server see them differently??
  8. arunyadav Member

9. satya Moderator

Viksar
    I believe your question has been answered on the other post, I think this server is not a cluster so you cannot or no option to assign Virtual IP for the SQL instance.
    If you want to load balance the application traffic then you have to obtain hardware or software based solutions.
  10. viksar New Member

Thanks satya,
    I came across this article attached below
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...bb3-9c6a-42c825ddb1dc&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1
    Can we have Multiple Instances with Different IP Addresses and Same Port Number in SQL SERVER (on same server ofcourse). This article says that this is possible by SQL alias, I have tried but its not working.
    My understanding is SQL alias is used only for refereing to different SQL name and not for routing to different Port number??
    If above is possible, can you please tell me how we can implement this??? is there a separate method to implement this as well??
  11. viksar New Member

Thanks satya,
    I came across this article attached below
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...bb3-9c6a-42c825ddb1dc&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1
    Can we have Multiple Instances with Different IP Addresses and Same Port Number in SQL SERVER (on same server ofcourse). This article says that this is possible by SQL alias, I have tried but its not working.
    My understanding is SQL alias is used only for refereing to different SQL name and not for routing to different Port number??
    If above is possible, can you please tell me how we can implement this??? is there a separate method to implement this as well??
  12. viksar New Member

HI Forum,
    i AM still waiting for reply for above question??
  13. arunyadav Member

To find out the IP address on which your server is running.
    1. EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'ipconfig'
    2. OR, Check sql server error log
    3. OR, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftMSSQLServer MSSQLServerSuperSocketNetlibTcp
    4. OR, look at sql server network utility on that server.
    /**Hope this Helps.**/
  14. suniljk7 New Member

I don't know i am correct or not.. but you edit the host file and add different name to the same IP
    eg: 192.168.1.1 sqlserver1, 192.168.1.1 sqlserver2, 192.168.1.1 sqlserver3
    then give the users with sqlserver1instance1, sqlserver2instance2, sqlserver3instance3
    also desable ping, and check with network people they can mask ip address. so that users will not know they will think that all are differernt servers. is this u are trying to achive?
    Thanks
    John