SQL Server Performance

vldb question

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by Mike1234, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Mike1234 New Member

HII just inherited a sql server 2008 containing an oltp vldb, the database is 1 terabyte with one/only default filegroup. Since I have had no experience with vldbs I have frantically been reading up them as much as I can.The server was setup as 10 terabyte D drive on the SAN; the database is on that drive. Everything I have been reading about for VLDB says it should have been setup on with multiple drives. My question is since it's on the SAN and so if I create multiple filegroups on the same D drive will there be any advantage or should I have a meeting with SAN people and talk about breaking that 1 10 tera drive drive into perhaps 10 ...1 teraybyte drives.Like I mentioned my experience with VLDB and SAN is limited so not sure what questions I should be asking etc.ThanksMike
  2. ghemant Moderator

If you have multiple RAID arrays available, moving some of the heavily transacted tables on those drives (based on the intensity of usage i.e. read / write) can boost performance, also it is always advisable to have separate disk for tempdb, and log files for user databases.
  3. satya Moderator

Mike, welcome to the forums.
    What I see here is a two fold change to the exisitng database.
    FIrstly create multiple file groups and move the highly-transactional tables to relevant filegroups and then reconfigure the SAN to host these multiple filegroups (files) on individual partitions for better performance and scalability.
    If you wish you can discuss this offline by sending an email.