SQL Server Performance

W2k3 and SQL 2005 Clustering

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by Ferdi, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Ferdi New Member

Hi, I am confused, could someone please explian the following to me:
    1) If you setup W2K3 clustering (OS Only) does it still mean active/passive, or does it only provide you with failover? My understanding of a cluster is that it provides you with two nodes sharing the same logical disk. In the case of a failure there will still be a server available to manage the data on the logical drive.
    2) Assuming you install SQL 2005 ontop of the OS, and install that as an active/active cluster. From my assumptions above if one server fails then the second instance will failover to the server still running.
    Appreciate the feedback - ferdi
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    1) Yes it will be providing the failover as the CLUADMIN runs from windows operating system.
    2) http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/clustering/clustering_intro_p1.aspx refers
    An Active/Active SQL Server cluster means that SQL Server is running on both nodes of a two-way cluster. Each copy of SQL Server acts independently, and users see two different SQL Servers. If one of the SQL Servers in the cluster should fail, then the failed instance of SQL Server will failover to the remaining server. This means that then both instances of SQL Server will be running on one physical server, instead of two.