SQL Server Performance

What About End Users?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 20, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I often think that people focus too much on the technical aspects when choosing a software product and fail to recognise the human element. As a technologist I find that occasionally I will fall into the trap where I focus on the features and performance and neglect that at the end of the day there will be an end user adopting the solution. A good example of this that I have seen recently is the comparison of reporting products. Data and reporting is the lifeblood of many organisations and it does not matter whether the report is a black DOS screen or a fancy graph based off a cube. What matters is someone's ability to analyse and make decisions based on the data.
    I was talking to a colleague this afternoon and he was telling me about his new employer that was using a non-Microsoft based reporting solution. He was trying to convert them to use Reporting Services and was receiving a great deal of resistance. From what he described Reporting Services would have been a better technical solution; however, the company already had a massive investment in training and all of the analysts knew how to write the reports they needed to perform their job. One of the key drivers in any technology decision and is evaluating the needs of end-users, something that is often overlooked in the need to train end-users. Do you evaluate end-user needs?
    - Peter Ward